Some days I feel ill-equipped to navigate this journey called motherhood. I feel ill-equipped because the world is so much different now then when I was a child. It’s unfamiliar territory. Uncharted waters. No matter how uncertain I feel in some areas of this voyage, there is one thing I know without a doubt to be true – kindness, selflessness, and a love for Jesus should be valued and passed on to our children. By their parents. Intentionally. So, I’ve made these promises to my kiddos, and I am working hard to keep them in hopes of a brighter world for them to call home.
1. I promise I won’t talk about other human beings in an ugly way. Because if I do – then you will.
2. I promise I won’t degrade other people because of their race, their religion, their gender, or their socioeconomic status. Because if I do – then you will.
3. I promise not to bully anyone. Because if I do – then you will.
4. I promise to try my best to never make anyone feel less than. Because if I do – then you will.
5. I promise to pray for you every single day.
6. And I promise that even when I’m not with you – God is, and He is a good, good God. Even in the midst of what seems like a very bad world.
Lead by example. Treat people like Jesus would. And pray hard.
“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”
– Ephesians 4:29